Georgian Dream Names Tbilisi Sakrebulo Majoritarian Candidates
Tbilisi Mayor Kakha Kaladze, who is running for re-election in October local polls, presented today the ruling Georgian Dream party’s 10 majoritarian candidates to 50-member Tbilisi Sakrebulo (City Assembly).
The list of candidates – all men – for 10 single-mandate constituencies are:
- Mtatsminda – Zurab Abashidze, ex-Ambassador to Kazakhstan, former Free Democrats leader
- Vake – Giorgi Tkemaladze, incumbent Sakrebulo Chair
- Samgori – Revaz Sokhadze, incumbent majoritarian
- Isani – kakha Labuchidze, incumbent Gamgebeli (district head)
- Krtsanisi – Levan Japaridze, incumbent majoritarian
- Nadzaladevi – Irakli Kheladze, incumbent Gamgebeli
- Gldani – Konstantine Zarnadze, Deputy Gamgebeli of Gldani
- Didube – Givi Chkhartishvili
- Saburtalo – Avtandil Tsintsadze, incumbent majoritarian
- Chughureti – Zurab Chikviladze, incumbent Gamgebeli
Recent changes to the electoral code, amended as per EU-mediated April 19 agreement between the Georgian Dream and opposition parties, increased the number of proportional-party seats in Tbilisi Sakrebulo to 40 and reduced the majoritarian seats to 10, as opposed to the previous allocation of 25 – 25. The changes also imposed a 40% threshold for the majoritarian candidates.
This post is also available in: ქართული (Georgian) Русский (Russian)